Those who are thinking about enrolling in an addiction treatment program may feel apprehensive about group therapy and talking about their problems with others. What is group therapy? It is a type of therapy where a therapist supervises group discussions and activities that can improve a patient’s mental health, self-esteem, and ability to abstain from drugs or alcohol. If you are doing a search for group therapy near me, click on the link for 7 Summit Pathways to begin your addiction recovery.
7 Summit Pathways is an accredited addiction treatment facility with a wide range of programs to treat addiction, depression, social anxiety, and other mental health disorders. We take the time to get to know you and the unique circumstances that brought you to our facility. When you first arrive, we will run a full assessment to place you in the appropriate treatment program based on your unique symptoms. To learn more about group therapy programs near you, give us a call at 813.212.7149 or fill out our online form today, and we will get back to you promptly.
What Is Group Therapy?
A group therapy program is a beneficial program for treating addiction, depression, PTSD, and other types of mental health disorders. It is a form of talk therapy where patients work with a therapist and peers in a comfortable setting to discuss the issues impacting their health and happiness. Group therapy is an excellent way to see how others are coping with addiction and gain valuable insight from different life perspectives.
Group therapy is more than just sitting in a room and talking. Today’s therapists understand the value of indoor and outdoor group activities and now include various types of holistic activities. These can include:
- Animal-assisted therapy
- Nature walks and adventure therapy
- Arts and crafts
- Music and dance therapy
- Roleplaying games
Those who feel apprehensive about joining group discussions will soon understand the value of talking about their feelings with others. Therapists will help you feel comfortable in the group and allow you to work at your own pace to open up to your peers.
At 7 Summit Pathways, our treatment programs include individual and group therapy programs that utilize a wide range of therapies. Before you begin therapy, we will go over every step of the program and answer any questions you or your family have about the recovery process.
The Benefits of a Group Therapy Program
When you enroll in an addiction treatment program, you will spend several weeks or months working with a therapist and your peers in a safe and discreet environment. You will participate in group discussions and activities, bond with your peers, and develop a better outlook on your life.
Here are just some of the benefits of a group therapy program:
- You discover you are not alone – A key symptom of addiction is feeling isolated and alone and that no one can understand what you are going through. Group therapy can show you how addiction affects people from all walks of life and that no one is immune to this treatable illness.
- Improves communication skills – A lot of people grew up with people telling them to “keep it to yourself” and “no one wants to hear your problems.” Group therapy teaches patients that it is okay to talk to others about their feelings through role-playing games and other activities. You will learn how to talk to others about your feelings without feeling triggered or anxious.
- Practice coping skills – Group therapy gives patients time to practice new coping skills with their peers in a safe and supervised environment. This allows them to fine-tune their skills and build their confidence in abstaining from drugs or alcohol, no matter the situation.
- Gain lifelong friendships – A very important benefit of group therapy is the friendships you will form. Those you bond with will become a part of your sober network that will be there when you need extra support staying sober.
Group therapy is an essential program in the treatment of addiction and other mental health disorders. The skills and relationships you gain during therapy will go a long way toward promoting lifelong sobriety and improving other aspects of your life.
Find Group Therapy near You at 7 Summit Pathways
What is group therapy, and how can it benefit addiction recovery? At 7 Summit Pathways, our team members dedicate themselves to helping all people who are struggling with an addiction to alcohol, heroin, or other dangerous substances understand the benefits of group therapy. In addition to group therapy, you will work with a behavioral therapist in private therapy to uncover the root cause of the addiction and begin learning new coping skills.