A traumatic event can be very devastating to a person’s mental health, especially if they ignore their feelings and try to pretend everything is OK. The risk of addiction, PTSD, social anxiety, and other mental health disorders significantly increases the longer you go without talking with a trained professional after experiencing trauma. Trauma therapy is designed to help men and women address the traumatic event using behavioral therapy to teach them healthy coping skills to improve their mental health.
At 7 Summit Pathways, we offer trauma therapy in Florida for those who are struggling to cope with past or recent traumas. We take the time to get to know each patient and the unique circumstances that led them to us. Our programs utilize the latest in behavioral therapies and medical support with programs that can treat all types of traumas and the negative behaviors that it creates. To learn more about our trauma therapy and other specialty services in Florida, message us online or call 813.212.7149 today to speak with our caring team.
What Is Trauma Therapy?
Trauma can occur from a wide range of events or circumstances that can cause significant mental health issues. Most people associate trauma with combat experience, an accident, or the sudden loss of a loved one. Trauma can also occur from family and personal relationships, current affairs, natural disasters, gun-related violence, and verbal, physical, or emotional abuse.
A trauma therapy program uses a combination of behavioral and holistic therapies along with medication to ease those symptoms that are causing the most problems. A certified behavioral therapist works with patients to uncover the original trauma and help them process those feelings without causing any negative behaviors. Patients learn new coping techniques that allow them to process their feelings safely without triggering any cravings, traumatic flashbacks, or anxiety attacks. During trauma therapy, patients will participate in a number of therapies that can include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Motivational interviewing (MI)
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EDMR)
At 7 Summit Pathways, we provide comprehensive trauma therapy in Florida for those who want help turning their lives around. Each program is based on the person’s individual symptoms and type of trauma and will include group and private therapy sessions in a safe and comfortable environment.
What to Expect From Trauma Therapy
Enrolling in trauma therapy can be intimidating if you are new to therapy and don’t know what to expect. These programs give patients the skills and confidence they need to gain control of their symptoms and stop letting their past disrupt their future. Here is just some of what you can expect after enrolling in a trauma therapy program:
- During admissions, therapists will run a full assessment of your physical and mental health to create an effective treatment program that can include a mix of therapies and medical support.
- To reduce any addiction withdrawals or other symptoms that can interfere with recovery, medical technicians will administer medications at specific levels. They will monitor each patient for any adverse reactions and make adjustments for maximum benefits. As your symptoms begin to fade, medical staff will taper you off the medications to avoid any withdrawals.
- Patients will participate in other types of therapies that are very beneficial in reducing the effects of past traumas. Meditation and yoga are very beneficial for treating trauma, as are nature therapy, music/dance therapy, creative writing, and other forms of self-expression.
- Trauma therapy also includes family therapy to restore trust and broken relationships. Therapists will work with all family members to resolve any lingering conflicts, educate them about the disorder, and teach them how they can support the recovery process.
Enrolling in trauma therapy is the smart choice to make if your symptoms are causing significant problems with your day-to-day life. It teaches you healthy ways of coping with past traumas and greatly reduces the risk of developing a substance use disorder, which is very common with unresolved traumas.
Find Specialty Services in Florida at 7 Summit Pathways
What is trauma therapy, and how can it benefit your mental health? At 7 Summit Pathways, we go over each step of the recovery process with you at the beginning of the program and answer any questions you have about your recovery experience. You will work with a certified therapist in group and private therapy sessions in a family-like environment that is conducive to healing and recovery.