Acupuncture is an ancient form of Chinese medicine that balances the energy within a person’s body and has several physical and mental benefits. For addiction recovery, acupuncture therapy is useful in easing pain caused by withdrawal symptoms and produces a state of calmness and peace that is very important during the recovery experience. Those who participate in acupuncture and other therapies are able to cope with their symptoms and triggers better and feel fewer urges for more drugs or alcohol.
At 7 Summit Pathways, we work with people who are struggling with addiction or other mental health conditions at our Tampa, Florida center. Our facility utilizes a wide range of treatment methods for addressing the physical and mental aspects of addiction. We take the time to build a close relationship with each patient so they feel comfortable opening up about the reasons behind the addiction. Searching online for specialty services near me will produce a long list of treatment options available near you. If you are struggling with addiction to alcohol or other substances, reach out to our caring team today at 813.212.7149 to stop the abuse once and for all.
What Is Acupuncture Therapy?
Acupuncture is a type of alternative medicine and a component of traditional Chinese medicine. It uses thin needles that are inserted just below the skin to increase blood flow to that area. While many people are aware of the pain-relieving properties of acupuncture, many do not know about the psychological benefits of this ancient practice.
Acupuncture balances your life energy, also called chi /kaɪ/ or qi /tʃi/, by inserting needles at specific points in different parts of the body. For example, ear acupuncture can:
- Reduce pain
- Calm the mind
- Treat allergies and infectious diseases
- Treat chronic diseases and functional disorders
Ear acupuncture is the most effective form of acupuncture for treating addiction. There are five spots or points where needles are inserted into the ear. These points are called the sympathetic, shen men, kidney, lung, and liver points.
At 7 Summit Pathways, we use acupuncture therapy and other holistic practices to treat addiction and the underlying causes behind it. Patients who are nervous around needles will discover that the procedure causes very little pain and feels like a small pinch or sting. Some practitioners are able to insert the needles with no pain at all.
The Benefits of Acupuncture Therapy for Addiction Recovery
Patients who participate in acupuncture and other holistic activities and behavioral therapy find it easier to reach and maintain their sobriety. The effects of acupuncture are unique for each person, as are the benefits they get from the treatment.
Here are just some of the benefits of acupuncture therapy for treating addiction:
- Enhances mental clarity and concentration – Acupuncture can help focus your mind and keep you in the present moment. This mental clarity allows patients to see the harm they are causing to themselves and their loved ones and how important recovery is to their overall well-being.
- Reduces cravings – The first few weeks of recovery are the most difficult, as cravings for more drugs and alcohol will persist for up to two weeks. Acupuncture naturally reduces cravings by inserting needles at certain points in the body and refocusing that negative energy.
- Eases pain during withdrawals – Acupuncture can also reduce headaches, muscle tension, and other aches and pains that are common during withdrawals. In some cases, acupuncture can replace the need for medication to ease some of the withdrawal symptoms.
- Improves the immune system – Acupuncture is a natural immune system booster and increases red and white blood cell counts as well as boosting T-cell numbers. A stronger immune system will help your body cleanse itself from all toxins and decrease the risk of developing other illnesses during recovery.
Acupuncture is very effective in reducing the common symptoms of addiction and other mental health disorders. Combining acupuncture with other therapies will improve your chances of reaching and maintaining your recovery goals and improving other areas of your life.
7 Summit Pathways Offers Beneficial Specialty Services near You
At 7 Summit Pathways, we will discuss every step of your recovery with you and explain the different types of therapies you will participate in. Acupuncture is a proven method for treating addiction that can ease physical pain and clear the brain fog in your head.