People living with addiction are more likely to also have a mental health condition and, on the other hand, those living with a mental health condition are more likely to develop a substance use disorder. The relationship between co-occurring depression and addiction can make it hard for people to feel happy or fulfilled. One of the most common co-occurring mental health conditions is depression. A depression treatment program at an accredited addiction treatment center can help.
The team at 7 Summit Pathways has decades of experience helping people with mental health conditions and addiction find a better way forward in life. By developing a personalized treatment plan with a mix of holistic and evidence-based therapies, our patients receive care that targets all seven dimensions of wellness. Learn more about our specialty services in Tampa, FL by calling 813.212.7149 today.
Depression is a common and serious mental health condition characterized by persistent feelings of sadness, hopelessness, and a lack of interest or pleasure in activities. It can negatively impact day-to-day life, affecting relationships, work, and overall well-being. Symptoms of depression may include:
- Persistent sadness or low mood
- Loss of interest or pleasure in activities
- Fatigue or low energy
- Sleep disturbances
- Changes in appetite or weight
- Difficulty concentrating or making decisions
- Feelings of worthlessness or guilt
- Thoughts of death or suicide
Seeking treatment for depression is essential, as it can significantly improve an individual’s quality of life and reduce the risk of further complications.
The Co-Occurrence of Depression and Addiction
Depression and addiction often co-occur, with individuals experiencing one condition being at higher risk of developing the other. This can be due to various factors, such as using substances to self-medicate depressive symptoms or experiencing depression as a result of brain changes caused by substance abuse. Addressing both conditions simultaneously is crucial to achieving long-term recovery and improved mental health.
An Overview of Our Depression Treatment Program
Our depression treatment program is specifically designed for those experiencing co-occurring depression and addiction to provide comprehensive care that addresses both conditions. The goals of the program include:
- Identifying and treating the root causes of depression and addiction
- Providing education and support to help individuals understand and manage their conditions
- Developing coping skills and strategies for maintaining long-term recovery and mental health
- Offering ongoing aftercare and support for continued success
Enrolling in a depression treatment program can significantly aid in managing both depression and co-occurring addiction, leading to improved mental health, relationships, and overall well-being.
Evidence-Based Therapies We Use
The 7 Summit Pathways depression treatment program utilizes evidence-based therapies to ensure the most effective and comprehensive care for patients. These therapies include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) – CBT is a short-term, goal-oriented therapy that focuses on identifying and changing negative thought patterns and behaviors that contribute to depression and addiction. It helps individuals develop healthier coping strategies and improve their overall mental health.
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) – DBT is a form of CBT that emphasizes the development of mindfulness, emotional regulation, distress tolerance, and interpersonal effectiveness skills. It is particularly effective for individuals with chronic emotional instability or who engage in self-destructive behaviors.
- Motivational interviewing – This therapy approach helps individuals recognize the need for change and develop the motivation to pursue recovery. It is client-centered and non-confrontational, guiding individuals to explore their own reasons for wanting to change and supporting them in taking steps toward recovery.
- Trauma therapy – Trauma therapy addresses any past traumatic experiences that may be contributing to depression and addiction. Various modalities, such as eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) or trauma-focused CBT, can be used to help individuals process and resolve past traumas, leading to improved mental health and reduced risk of relapse.
By offering a comprehensive range of evidence-based therapies, we help our patients receive the most effective care tailored to their unique needs and circumstances.
A Depression Treatment Program in Tampa, FL at 7 Summit Pathways
At 7 Summit Pathways, we understand that addiction and depression can be difficult to manage. Our experienced team of clinicians is dedicated to providing comprehensive care to help individuals find their path to long-term recovery. To learn more about our depression treatment program in Tampa, FL, or to speak with a member of our team, please contact us at 813.212.7149 today.