Treating addiction is a complex process involving private and group therapy sessions led by a certified therapist. One part of the process during therapy is setting group therapy goals. This is an integral part of the recovery journey and can focus recovery efforts, allowing patients to reach their recovery goals on time. During group therapy, patients will participate in a number of activities and games that allow them to fine-tune coping skills and work on improving other aspects of their lives.
7 Summit Pathways is a full-service addiction treatment center that welcomes people from all walks of life who need help breaking their addiction. We utilize the latest treatment modalities, which include cognitive-behavioral therapy, medication-assisted treatment, and holistic therapies that support a healthy lifestyle and better mental health. Each program is tailored to the individual and will include private and group therapy sessions. To discover the benefits of group therapy in Florida, call 813.212.7149 today to speak with our team.
What Is Group Therapy?
Treatment programs include group and private therapy sessions that focus on learning new coping and communication skills and promoting real change. In group therapy, patients work with an experienced therapist supervising group discussions and various activities supporting the recovery process. They use various methods and therapies to help patients reach their recovery goals and feel connected with their peers. A typical group therapy session can include:
- Group discussions that allow patients to talk about their experiences and gain feedback from their peers
- Roleplaying games to practice coping and communication skills
- Equine-assisted therapy
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Yoga therapy
- Meditative therapy
- Nutrition education classes
- Music/dance therapy
- Family therapy
Group therapy is a necessary step in the recovery process. Those who feel nervous about opening up about their addiction will soon realize that they are not alone in their fears and struggles. Group therapy allows patients to gain valuable insights from their peers based on different life experiences.
At 7 Summit Pathways, our treatment programs include private and group therapy sessions with experienced behavioral therapists in a comfortable setting. We offer a mix of behavioral and holistic therapies to treat all types of addictions and the underlying emotions, experiences, or past traumas that are fueling the abuse.
Setting Group Therapy Goals
Group therapy goals are specific to the person and their individual needs. It can include things like learning how to shop, prepare, and cook healthy meals and working on improving broken relationships with friends, spouses, and family members.
Some of the top group therapy goals that support the recovery process include:
- Creates a sense of belonging – One of the most harmful symptoms of addiction is it isolates the person from their friends and family. Many people feel ashamed to admit they have a substance use disorder due to our society’s lack of understanding of this mental health disease. Group therapy shows people they are not alone in their struggles and how addiction affects everyone, regardless of their personal beliefs.
- Developing close relationships with peers – This is an important step in the recovery process, as these relationships will support a sober lifestyle long after completing recovery. Relationships created over shared struggles create strong, unbreakable bonds that will support you when life gets stressful or when cravings return.
- Promotes continuation of therapy – One of the main group therapy goals is to increase patient retention rates so they can continue receiving the benefits of therapy throughout their lives. As they experience more positive effects of group therapy, they are more likely to continue working with a therapist long after completing their recovery program.
- Restoring family relationships – Parents, siblings, spouses, and children are encouraged to participate in group family therapy to resolve lingering conflicts or misunderstandings and begin to repair the family structure. A supportive home environment is essential for reducing the risks of relapsing, and your family can play an integral role in reducing that risk.
Group therapy is an excellent way for men and women to work on their recovery with a group of like-minded people who want to make real changes. The relationships and life skills you learn will go a long way toward building a healthy and sober lifestyle.
Find Group Therapy in Florida at 7 Summit Pathways in Tampa
What is group therapy, and how can it help your recovery? At 7 Summit Pathways, we will answer all of your questions about our treatment programs and how they can support your recovery journey. You will work with an experienced therapist in group and private therapy sessions to better understand the reasons behind the abuse and develop new ways to manage symptoms and triggers.