Treating substance use disorders requires addressing multiple issues at the same time to effectively treat the disorder and allow people to maintain lifelong sobriety. Physical and psychological symptoms must be treated, as well as developing new hobbies and life skills that support a healthy lifestyle. Yoga is one type of holistic therapy that promotes a calmer state of mind and can strengthen and tone the body. There are many yoga therapy benefits that can support men and women during their recovery and long into the future.
7 Summit Pathways is a full-service addiction treatment center that welcomes people who are struggling with addiction to alcohol, heroin, cocaine, or other addictive substances. We provide our patients with a healthy mix of behavioral and holistic therapies and medication-assisted treatments for a whole-person recovery experience. Each treatment plan is based on the individual’s symptoms and causes behind the abuse and will adapt as their health improves. To learn more about our holistic therapy options in Florida, call 813.212.7149 today.
What Is Yoga Therapy?
Historical records put the origination of yoga between 5,000 and 10,000 years ago, and it is still being used all over the world today. Yoga therapy for treating addiction takes the practices of different yoga styles and uses them to ease withdrawal symptoms and stress naturally and promotes self-confidence and retention in therapy programs. The practice of yoga works the mind and body and allows patients to develop increased self-awareness, which is necessary for managing symptoms and triggers more effectively.
Yoga increases gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), which is a natural tranquilizer that helps reduce stress levels and eases depressive and anxiety symptoms, which can interfere with recovery. It can also reduce heart rates and physical pain and give your immune system a healthy boost. It can also increase muscle strength, improve balance, and increase bone density. The physical and mental side effects of regular yoga practice can ease the overall recovery experience and increase patients’ chances of maintaining long-lasting sobriety.
At 7 Summit Pathways, we provide our patients with a healthy mix of therapies, including yoga therapy, meditation therapy, equine-assisted therapy, and other holistic programs. We also offer medication-assisted treatment to reduce disruptive symptoms and behavioral therapy to build new behaviors and thought processes to replace destructive habits and ways of thinking.
3 Yoga Therapy Benefits
Yoga is an ancient practice that delivers some amazing physical and psychological benefits for people who are recovering from addiction. The positions are easy to follow and can be done with minimal equipment at home, work, or in group and private therapy sessions.
Here are three yoga therapy benefits that you can expect after enrolling in an addiction treatment program:
- A deep connection with self – Yoga sessions develops better body and mind awareness and can help patients recognize the situations, thoughts, or people that trigger their stress and cravings. It also allows them to focus on the present moment and recognize the negative internal thinking that is a common symptom of addiction and other mental health disorders.
- A natural way to ease withdrawal symptoms – For people who dislike taking medication, yoga offers a medicine-free way to reduce mild to medium withdrawal symptoms and cravings. Most treatment programs will offer medication-assisted treatment along with yoga therapy if their symptoms are too severe to be treated holistically.
- Increases therapy retention – Those who practice yoga therapy in addition to behavioral therapy will quickly discover the overall benefits and be more willing to continue working with a therapist. Those who continue working with a therapist after completing recovery will have fewer risks of relapse and better overall mental and physical health.
Yoga therapy is quickly gaining popularity in treatment centers in Florida and nationwide as more people discover the benefits of yoga and other holistic therapies. They are the perfect complement to cognitive-behavioral therapy and other popular forms of addiction therapy.
Find Comprehensive Holistic Therapy Options in Florida at 7 Summit Pathways
What is yoga therapy, and how can it benefit your recovery? At 7 Summit Pathways, our goal is to support Florida residents with substance use disorders using behavioral and holistic therapies for a more holistic recovery experience. We will answer all of your questions and concerns before starting the program, as well as discuss all treatment options. Some of the therapies we offer include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR)
- Yoga therapy
- Meditation therapy
- Acupuncture therapy
- Massage therapy
- Family therapy/counseling
We also provide medical support for patients with severe withdrawal symptoms that disrupt the recovery experience. To discover all of the benefits of yoga therapy for addiction recovery, reach out online or call 813.212.7149 today to speak with our knowledgeable team.