A group therapy program is an essential part of an all-encompassing treatment program for treating addiction, depression, and other mental health concerns. It gives patients a safe space to practice coping and communication skills, learn healthy life skills, and develop close relationships with their peers, which can further support their recovery. Group therapy is an excellent way for patients to improve their self-confidence and better understand the complexities of treating and managing mental health conditions.
At 7 Summit Pathways, we welcome men and women from all walks of life who need help with substance abuse, post-traumatic stress disorder, and other treatable mental health illnesses. When you arrive at our facility, we will run a complete health assessment to determine the best treatment for your unique symptoms. Our certified therapists have years of experience treating all types of disorders and supporting patients through a combination of behavioral and holistic therapies with medication-assisted treatments. To discover all of the benefits of our group therapy program in Florida, contact our friendly team today at 813.212.7149.
What Is Group Therapy?
Group therapy programs bring together people who are struggling with substance use disorders, major depressive disorders, and other types of mental health conditions. It helps patients better understand how mental health issues affect all people and promotes a sense of community and togetherness, which is important for recovery. Group therapy can also support families that are shattered by addiction and start the process of rebuilding trust and broken relationships.
During group therapy programs, therapists will lead patients in various exercises, group discussions, activities, and role-playing games designed to improve coping and communication skills. Depending on the type of treatment program, some of the common activities that you can participate in during group therapy include:
- Animal-assisted therapy
- Nature hikes
- CBT and DBT board games
- Nutrition education
- Self-expression exercises
- Other life skills education
An effective treatment program will include group and private therapy sessions using cognitive-behavioral therapy and other types of proven therapeutic techniques. At 7 Summit Pathways, we will answer any questions you have about enrolling in our treatment programs, like what is group therapy and why it is important for your recovery.
The Benefits of Participating in a Group Therapy Program
Group therapy programs are the best way to improve your mental health, reduce addictive symptoms, and gain new perspectives on how others are coping with their symptoms. It is an essential part of the recovery process and a necessary step for reaching your recovery goals.
Here are some of the top benefits of enrolling in a group therapy program:
- Proving you are not alone – A characteristic of many mental health issues is feeling isolated and alone. Group therapy alleviates this feeling and can show you how other people are affected by and are coping with their mental illness.
- Practice coping and communication skills – Group therapy gives patients time to improve coping and communication skills through supervised role-playing games and other activities. Therapists will monitor patient interactions and step in to correct any negative behaviors or language.
- Improve self-esteem and confidence – Getting feedback and encouragement from your peers can be very beneficial in increasing self-esteem and confidence in handling stressful or triggering situations or people. As you make progress through the program, they will encourage you to keep making forward progress.
- Reduces the risk of relapse – The relationships you develop during group therapy can support you long after completing therapy and stop any potential relapses in the future.
Participating in a group therapy program is the best course of action for treating addiction and other types of mental health conditions. Group therapy teaches patients healthy coping skills and can go a long way toward improving their lives.
7 Summit Pathways: Your Best Choice for Group Therapy Programs in Florida
7 Summit Pathways is a fully accredited outpatient mental health treatment facility that helps men and women who are struggling with substance use disorders or other mental health concerns. During private and group therapy sessions, therapists will use a number of different therapies to treat the condition. Some of the therapies we offer include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Motivational interviewing (MI)
- Meditation therapy
- Nutrition counseling
- Creative self-expression
- Family therapy