Addiction is a complex illness to treat that requires various therapies and medications to allow patients to realize their goals of long-lasting sobriety. What is individual therapy? It is a type of therapy session where individuals work one-on-one with a trained therapist to resolve issues that are directly related to addiction or other life complications. Individual therapy can be very beneficial in addiction recovery when combined with group therapy and medication-assisted treatment.
At 7 Summit Pathways, we work with people from all walks of life who are struggling with an addiction to meth, heroin, alcohol, or other addictive substances. Our team understands how scary enrolling in an addiction treatment program can be, and we work hard to make each patient feel welcome and comfortable when they arrive at our facility. We design our programs around each individual’s unique symptoms and severity of the addiction to give them the greatest chance at reaching their recovery goals. If you are searching for treatment programs near me and ready for a positive change, call 813.212.7149 today to speak with one of our caring team members.
What Is Individual Therapy?
An individual therapy program can help people work through frustrating times, cope with troubling thoughts and emotions, and learn how to stop abusing drugs or alcohol in a safe way. Despite the known harm that drugs and alcohol can cause, people still choose to abuse these dangerous substances and put their mental and physical health at risk. If left untreated, addiction can cause organ damage/failure, brain shrinkage, significant cognitive decline, and death.
Addiction is caused by a number of internal and external factors that can increase a person’s susceptibility to addiction. Those whose parents or grandparents have a history of addiction will have a genetic disposition toward addiction and have more intense reactions and withdrawal symptoms. Other factors that can lead to addiction include:
- Relationship troubles
- Coping with peer pressure
- Gender/sexual confusion
- Emotional, physical, or sexual abuse
- Past or recent traumas
7 Summit Pathways is a fully accredited addiction treatment facility that offers a wide range of treatment options to support your mental health recovery. If you are searching for individual therapy, check out all of our treatment options that are available at our boutique treatment center in Tampa.
The Benefits of Enrolling in Individual Therapy
Individual therapy can be very effective in reducing a person’s desire to continue abusing drugs or alcohol. It uses various behavioral therapy techniques to give patients the skills and confidence they need to ignore their cravings and confidently say no, no matter what situation they face.
Here are just some of the benefits of an individual therapy program:
- A better understanding of addiction and how it developed – During individual therapy, therapists teach patients about the dangers of addiction and guide them toward uncovering the root cause of their abuse. They then begin teaching them healthy coping skills to manage their symptoms and how to ignore future temptations and cravings.
- An easier time getting through withdrawal symptoms – Drug and alcohol addiction causes painful and powerful withdrawal symptoms that can be deadly without medical support. As part of an all-encompassing treatment program, medical staff will administer medications to each patient and monitor their progress throughout the program. As symptoms begin to fade, they will begin reducing the amount of medication until no longer necessary.
- Work on rebuilding family and personal relationships – Another important benefit of individual therapy is it helps restore broken relationships and trust with parents, siblings, children, and spouses. All family members will have a chance to speak with a therapist in private to vent any frustrations or anger caused by the addiction and learn how to move on.
An individual therapy program can be very beneficial in helping people break their addictions and lead healthy and productive lives. It teaches them various coping skills that will reduce cravings and temptations now and in the future when symptoms return.
Join 7 Summit Pathways for Treatment Programs
What is individual therapy, and how can it benefit your recovery? At 7 Summit Pathways, we combine individual and group therapy programs that use cognitive-behavioral therapy and other therapies that are proven to ease addictive symptoms. Patients will participate in a number of group and individual therapy sessions that allow them to fine-tune coping and communication skills in a safe and encouraging environment.