Using a holistic approach to treat addiction is very beneficial as it helps patients reach their goals of long-lasting sobriety along with promoting a healthy lifestyle. When combined with behavioral therapy and medical support, it creates an all-encompassing program that treats the physical and mental aspects of addiction. While there is no cure for addiction, these programs give patients the skills and confidence they need to maintain their sobriety no matter what life throws at them.
At 7 Summit Pathways, we work with people from all walks of life who are struggling with an addiction to alcohol, cocaine, methamphetamines, or other dangerous narcotics. Our certified behavioral therapists have experience combining holistic and behavioral therapies that promote sobriety and a deeper connection to self. Patients participate in group and private therapy sessions where they will develop new coping and communication skills and plenty of supportive peer relationships. To learn more about our holistic therapy options, call 813.212.7149 today to speak with one of our friendly team members.
What Is Holistic Therapy?
Holistic therapy is an ancient therapeutic practice first developed in ancient China. They used a combination of herbs, healthy eating, and mind/body practices such as Tai chi and acupuncture to heal a variety of ailments. These practices are still used today and are gaining in popularity as more people come to understand the physical and psychological benefits of holistic therapy.
A holistic approach to treating addiction can include different types of therapies, such as:
- Creative writing
- Music therapy
- Guided and self-meditation
- Nutrition education
- Animal-assisted therapy
- Breathing exercises
- Tai chi, Qi gong, or other types of movement-based meditation
These programs help patients form a deep inner connection to themselves, which allows them to better control their thoughts and behaviors during difficult situations. At 7 Summit Pathways, our holistic approach to treating addiction includes mindfulness techniques, yoga, meditation, and various forms of creative self-expression. These programs are very supportive of the recovery process and promote lifelong sobriety and a healthier mind.
The Benefits of a Holistic Approach to Treating Addiction
A holistic approach to therapy focuses on developing positive life skills such as healthy eating, exercise, and creative self-expression to reduce the risk of relapse after completing recovery. Those who continue practicing holistic activities have a better chance of maintaining their goals of lifelong sobriety. If you or someone you know is struggling with addiction, taking a holistic approach to recovery provides them with many benefits that include:
- Physical benefits – Holistic therapy can improve sleeping patterns, muscle strength and flexibility, and digestion through healthy eating. Yoga may seem like a light workout, but it can be very strenuous and get your heart pumping. Plus, holistic therapy offers nutrition education and teaches patients how to prepare healthy meals.
- Psychological benefits – One of the major benefits of a holistic approach is that of the mind. Meditation helps patients form a deeper self-connection and learn more about how and why thoughts turn dark or obsess on past traumas or experiences. A healthy mind is imperative for preventing depression and other mental health disorders and for a life free from drugs and alcohol.
- Social benefits – Individuals who abuse drugs and alcohol will often isolate themselves from friends and family rather than face accusations and questions about their addiction. Holistic therapy gives patients time to improve their communication and relationship skills and learn how beneficial a healthy relationship can do for their mental health.
Treating addiction is a complex process as it is based on a person’s unique psychology and personal history. No two cases of addiction are exactly alike, which is why treatment is so intricate. Using holistic therapy along with behavioral therapy and medical support provides a more effective recovery experience with fewer chances of relapse today and in the future.
7 Summit Pathways: Taking a Holistic Approach
At 7 Summit Pathways, we will discuss the types of therapies that are involved in treating addiction to heroin, alcohol, opioid pain medication, and other substances. We are a fully accredited addiction treatment facility in Tampa that is available for men and women who are ready to stop letting addiction control their lives. Just some of the holistic therapies we provide include:
- Equine-assisted therapy
- Meditative therapy
- Yoga therapy
- Massage therapy
- Family counseling/therapy