Almost everyone has heard a variation of the phrase, “You have to love yourself before you can love anyone else.” While this wise phrase is true, it doesn’t teach you how to love yourself. Learning how to love yourself, especially aspects you might not always feel good or confident about, is the key to experiencing true intimacy. Discovering how to love yourself and be confident is also a beautiful aspect of Recovery that can help you let go of your addiction and learn what true happiness looks like.
The Importance of Loving Yourself
What do you feel when you look in the mirror? Do you love the person who stares back at you, or do you want to look away and forget that person exists? This exercise is telling about how you see and love yourself and can help you focus on how to improve your self-image.
Learning how to love yourself first is the most important aspect of your life — everything else needs to come second. Without loving yourself, you can’t embrace the love of a significant other, family member or friend. You might long for the love and intimacy that comes from connecting with another person. When you learn how to love yourself, you’ll feel more confident with yourself and can also accept the love of others in your life.
Tips on How to Love Yourself First
It’s not always easy to figure out how to love yourself and be confident, but these tips can help you get started:
- Care less about how you look: Our society emphasizes physical beauty, which is not what matters most about a person. Instead of caring exclusively about your weight, facial features, skin and other physical aspects, focus on what you do and what kind of person you are.
- Treat yourself: You are a gorgeous human being who deserves the world. Prove it by treating yourself to your favorite sweet treat or a night in to relax.
- Don’t compare yourself to others: Comparison will quickly steal your joy and sabotage your self-esteem. Each person is different in beautiful ways and deserves love.
- Travel alone: Traveling alone is an empowering experience that can teach you about new cultures and how to love yourself. It’s also a great time to focus on yourself by disconnecting from the world.
- Get healthy: Health is not the way you look, but how you feel physically and mentally. Go outside, eat the nutritious foods you enjoy and engage in the activities you’re passionate about.
Learn to Love Yourself Quotes
Sometimes hanging up quotes about learning to love yourself can help remind you of your goals. Look at these important words the next time you need a reminder:
- “A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval.” —Mark Twain
- “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” —Lucille Ball
- “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Self-care is never a selfish act — it is simply good stewardship of the only gift I have, the gift I was put on earth to offer to others.” —Parker Palmer
Contact 7 Summit Pathways
If you want to learn more about how to love yourself and be confident during the Recovery process, contact 7 Summit Pathways today.