There are a lot of things in life you can’t control, like the weather or your height. But you have complete control over your motivation.
Motivation carries you to your goals. It can also move you away from bad habits and help you establish healthy ones. In Recovery, you can motivate yourself to do new things and try new approaches on your unique journey.
What Is Self-Motivation?
Self-motivation means finding the will within yourself to accomplish your goals. You are self-motivated when you set out to achieve goals for yourself, not for anyone else. This is the best kind of motivation — reaching the goals you set feels amazing.
Four Tips for Motivating Yourself
Motivation can be created. You don’t have to wake up every morning feeling as though you could conquer the world. The right combination of action and spark can get you motivated even on a sluggish day.
Here are four tips on how to be motivated:
- Find goals YOU want to achieve: Self-motivation must be powered by goals that are important to you, not someone else. Think about your desires and why you want something.
- Imagine reaching your goal: Visualization is a powerful tool. If you can imagine yourself meeting your goal, down to what it would feel like in the moment you succeed. Then, you can stay motivated to make that feeling your reality.
- Break your goal down into smaller steps: It’s hard to stay motivated when you bite off more than you can chew. Set small goals you can achieve quickly that will take you to your bigger goal.
- Surround yourself with positivity: When you hear voices saying “you can,” you tend to believe them. Positive people around you will build greater confidence and lead you to positive outcomes.
Quotes for Motivating Yourself
Need to motivate yourself quickly? Read these quotes for some immediate momentum:
- “If something terrifies you, you should totally do it because it terrifies you. And then you’ll do it and you’ll realize what you’re capable of.” — Jonathan Saccone-Joly
- “If you don’t put anything in place, do not expect miraculous results to appear.” ― Germany Kent
- “I was thinking one day, and I realized that if I just had somebody behind me all the way to motivate me, I could make a big difference. Nobody came along like that, so I just became that person for myself.” ― Unknown
Simply starting a task, even when you aren’t really in the mood, can lead you to the motivation you seek. When you want something, you can attain it. Keep this in mind throughout your Recovery journey.
How 7 Summit Pathways Can Help
Not in treatment yet but want to get help? At 7 Summit Pathways Treatment and Recovery Center, we are what works. We use evidence-based treatment plans and holistic therapies that are highly personalized to your needs.