When you drink heavily, your mind and body pay the price for your addiction. Every day becomes a struggle in your own skin. You may feel bloated, heavy, slow, tired, nauseous and dull. Each time you indulge in an alcoholic beverage, you contribute to this buildup of bad feelings.
You don’t have to keep feeling this way. When you stop drinking alcohol, you can reboot your body and reset your mind. The physical and mental benefits become apparent immediately. Here’s why entering alcohol Recovery will be one of the best choices you could ever make.
Benefits to Your Mind When You Stop Drinking
Consuming a lot of alcohol can stoke anxiety and depression in those who already suffer from these conditions. By giving up alcohol, you allow yourself to focus on your mental health and address issues that you may also need help with.
Other ways your mind will benefit when you give up drinking include:
- No more insomnia: Lack of sleep can negatively impact your brain. Alcohol messes with sleep patterns and can keep you awake at night. It also leads to snoring and sleep apnea, which can disrupt sleep.
- Increased self-confidence: Drinking too much means no time to focus on yourself and all the great things you have accomplished. Instead of navigating life under the haze of too much wine, you can dedicate yourself to seeing the things you have achieved and setting ambitious yet attainable goals.
- Normalizing neurotransmitters: Alcohol can inhibit the communication between your brain’s neurotransmitters and neurons, forcing your brain into gymnastics that aren’t natural. No more drinking means less stress on your mind.
- Increased concentration: Did you notice you felt “scatterbrained” while you were drinking? This is a common side effect, and giving up alcohol can help you feel more focused.
Physical Benefits of Alcohol Recovery
Alcohol addiction also has physical symptoms that will improve when you give up drinking. Here are a few ways you will notice a difference in your body:
- Better-looking skin: When you drink, your skin becomes inflamed, and you get dehydrated. Giving up alcohol leads to smoother, younger-looking skin that is properly hydrated.
- Weight loss: Alcohol has a lot of calories, and when you consume excess calories, they turn into excess weight. You will reduce your caloric intake when you stop drinking alcohol and often drop weight.
- Improved heart function: Drinking can harm your heart, increasing the risk of developing heart disease. The fat in your bloodstream rises when you drink alcohol. This reduces the rate at which blood circulates throughout the body and increases the strain on your heart as it tries to pump more quickly.
- Better immunity: All those colds you picked up while you were drinking weren’t a coincidence. Your immune system is compromised when you drink, and it will improve when you give up alcohol.
How 7 Summit Pathways Can Help
Do you think you may have an addiction to alcohol? Turn to 7 Summit Pathways Treatment and Recovery Center. We offer evidence-based treatment and holistic, personalized therapies built upon the 7 Dimensions of Wellness.